Thursday, March 18, 2010

Furniture makeovers

Here is what my desk looked like a couple of years ago when I persuaded my husband to help me bring it home - one of our neighbors had it out by the curbside.  I liked the style and size, and that it had some storage.  It did have some damage - I had to use wood glue to repair the drawers some, and there was some veneer chipped off - to solve this I used a stain pen to cover these imperfections.


In this post when I mentioned I was going to paint the desk white and leave the top wood stain.

So here is how the desk looked up until yesterday:

Then yesterday I found a great table on my local online yard sale website for $15 - it folds down on the sides if I ever wanted to use it as a 'side' table or in another room.


I was not a fan of the light wood color / stain and the top was not in great condition so a quick clean and then fast forward to semi gloss white paint.  While I was painting the table, I thought why not just paint the desk too (I taped off around the top edge to preserve the wood stained top).

Here are some 'in progress' pictures:

And the after pictures,
desk:

(I also lightly brushed some paint on the hardware so it would look like it matched even though it is all 'mix-matched'.)

And the table (with my Goodwill chairs I made-over a couple of weeks ago)




I love the look of this white furniture against the dark hardwood floors.
And best of all;
the desk = free
the chairs = $5.99 each
the table $15

Linking to Transformation Thursday at Shabby Chic Cottage

21 comments:

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

Wow, what great transformations! I think (not that you asked for opinions!) you should take the hardware off the desk and spray it a different color--brushed nickel or black, maybe? Anyhow, just a thought!

~ Sarah

Enchantresses Three said...

How come my neighbors can't leave beautiful furniture on the curbside?!! AMAZING!!!! Love the white! And the table is fantastic!!
Hugs,
Sariah

Katy said...

I absolutely love that desk, and the hardware is cute. I like how you painted over it, it gives me an idea....
great job!

Lamp Tramp said...

I LOVE your new white furniture! You did an amazing job on them both, leaving the desk top stained looks so pretty!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Looks fantastic!!!

Jessi said...

Paint makes such a difference! I am trying to work up the courage to paint my kitchen table and chairs...this gives me inspiration!

Tracey @ My House of Giggles said...

Oh these look amazing!!! Nice work! that was a lot of painting! So worth it, though, isn't it?

Atticmag said...

I remember the desk when you were thinking about what to do with it a few weeks ago. It looks terrific. I love that the top was kept natural. Hope you have some time to stop by and take our tour of the Architectural Digest Home design show (furniture there, too) that's on this weekend. -- Jane F.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

They all look great! Great transformation for the money!

Erin said...

I REALLY like the desk. I'm thinking of a similar treatment for my buffet (wood stained top, white bottom). Love that it all cost a little bit of nothing!

Kirsty said...

Oooh....that's dreamy! I love them both! Fantastic transformations!

Annie said...

These are such a great makeover - the afters are just fabulous!!

Sonny G said...

Can I go shopping with you, PLEASE lol.. first of all you found great stuff at a super bargain and then you worked a magnificent transformation on those pieces. If it gets any better than this, I dont know how ~! standing beside my desk and cheering for you.. woooooooohooooooooo !!
Sonn7y

Paddywack Designs said...

So bright and cheerful, really feels like spring.

Tee said...

The desk is so very lovely, but I am absolutely gobsmacked over that table and chairs. Tres French chic!

Frugal Home Designs said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that desk. I have been searching craigslist to find one similiar to makeover. I love how you left the top stained. Great job on the table too.

Shaunna said...

Wonderful transformations! My favorite are the chairs!! I just found a beauty like that and I cannot wait to get my hands on her. Passed through from the shabby chic cottage; nice to meet you! -shaunna :)

Unknown said...

Looks great! Good job!

Post Grad Hair Cut said...

Ahh! You did such an amazing job. I can't believe that desk was free. Gorgeous work.

Miss Mustard Seed said...

I love the chairs and that desk! They are just my style. The desk is almost exaclty like mine, except mine has three drawers down each side. Beautiful work!

Gina said...

So beautiful!