Sunday, August 18, 2013

Summer house updates

 
It's been quite some time since I updated this blog, not that I am not still doing a lot around this house, we have just had a really busy summer.  On the Sunday before I am due to go back to my teaching job I thought I would share a few house updates for anyone that might still be out there reading.  We have had a fantastic summer with trips to San Francisco, and then New Zealand for 5 weeks so I have lots of those pictures to share too.  I thought I'd share some house pictures in this first post though.
 
I bought these new dining chairs for $20 each.  The person I bought them from said they were made in Dresden, Germany after WWII.  They are in great condition, just needed a little update with the fabric.  The picture below is the original fabric.
 
Then with new fabric:
(I didn't have to buy any, I just re-used from some World Market chair covers I had)


I love my new chairs.  At the beginning of the summer I had started re-painting the kitchen cabinets, starting with the island I painted a darker gray, and all the outer cabinets I painted "Simply White".  I am really happy with the change and the kitchen is a lot brighter and great to show off my vintage Fiesta and other dishes.  I took off the cabinet doors above the fridge to have more display space too.

 
The new chairs go perfectly with my maple Ethan Allen table I bought a few months previous.  Here it is with one of the extra leaves added




 
On this side is all our "everyday dishes" of fiestaware.  I cleared out the drawer below on the left for all my teas.

 
Even the pantry got a little update with new handles to match the other cabinet hardware.





 
And another summer find is this little arm chair, I found at a resale shop for $20.  The fabric is in perfect condition and the frame was already painted that pretty light blue.

 
And even our old door from the garage that leads through the laundry room into the kitchen got a makeover with a coat of dark gray. 


No comments: