Sunday, September 4, 2011

Painted antique dresser

A little project for the weekend, I picked up this dresser on Friday night, yesterday it got the first coat of paint, and today the second.
I picked this up from Mandie of Altar'd furniture, I follow her blog and facebook page.  I saw she was selling some "as is" furniture, and although I did not NEED it, I really love the style of this dresser / chest of drawers, and thought it would be a pretty easy project to do a little work and paint it.
When I brought it home on Friday I found the little wheels in one of the drawers (3 of them I think were original to this piece of furniture - little wooden wheels).
It did not need too much work - the top veneer was peeling up so I glued it with wood glue and Chris helped me put some clamps on while the glue dried.  Also one of the wood pieces that the drawers slide on had come unattached, so we glued and screwed that back on inside.

Here is a before picture of the dresser, you can see the top wood peeling up, but overall it is solid wood and a really beautiful piece of furniture:

I painted with what paint I already had on hand, "softer tan" paint that I have used in my kitchen and some other projects.  I knew I wanted to put this in our master bedroom and while the rest of my bedroom furniture is painted black I didn't want too much black in there and for everything to match.

So here is the dresser "after" paint.  I also spray painted the bottom handles oil rubbed bronze, and the glass knobs on the top two drawers and cabinet I got from Hobby Lobby (50% off).



The other chest (from IKEA) that the TV used to sit on now is on the wall to the left of the bed, with this cool "subway" style art from New Zealand (it is actually a tea towel from a souvenir shop, in an IKEA frame)



Here's the black painted bed in case you didn't see it before.

And one more look at the pretty antique white dresser, I love it!


Linking to Makeover Monday:

Altar'd Furniture Creations Blog

13 comments:

Zaira said...

ok, first, I wish I had started thinking about tea towels as art while we were IN NZ. Now I keep seeing it and I'm like: Doh.

And second, you move quickly. I still have to paint my coffee table. It's been in the garage for months (it's so freaking hot!) - looks awesome, love the knobs!

Pamela said...

I saw that dresser as well! You worked miracles on it! Wonder why Mandy did not want to play it??

bonnieboatwright@gmail.com said...

The dresser is gorgeous and I love the tea towel in the frame!

Anonymous said...

I love it and I LOVE YOU TOO!

-->Trevor.

Emily@LovelyBeasts said...

A beautiful piece. Love the legs. Although you didn't really need it, I think it's happy you brought it to your home!

1 Funky Woman said...

Great piece but wow the paint job makes it look incredible. The feet really stand out. What color did you use?

Love your bedroom!

Just found your blog so I'm now following!

Megan

Unknown said...

Nice work! I think it looks wonderful! :)

Ethereal PLUS what I Love said...

Loven that dresser!

René said...

This room is looking great. So peaceful and serene.

Mandie @ Altar'd said...

You did an amazing job on this piece! WOW. This was quite a project and you just did a phenomenal job!

Anonymous said...

I think I posted asking about the source of the tea towel, but I don't see it. Where did you get it?
Thx,

RCG

Anna said...

to anonymous, I can't email you back so I'll reply in the comments - I got the tea towel in Nelson, New Zealand from a souvenir type store.

Anna said...

I found the name of the store:
http://www.coastalmerchant.co.nz/